GOVERNMENT OF INDIA MINISTRY OF TOURISM GUIDELINES FOR RECOGNITION / RENEWAL OR EXTENSION AS AN APPROVED ADVENTURE TOUR OPERATOR (ATO)
[Revised with effect from 2nd January 2012]
Aims and objectives: The aims & objectives of the scheme for recognition of Adventure Tour Operator (ATO) are to encourage quality standard and service in this category so as to promote tourism in India. This is a voluntary scheme open to all bonafide Adventure Tour Operators to bring them in organized sector.
Definition: An ATO is the one who is engaged in activities related to Adventure Tourism in India namely, water sports, aero sports, mountaineering, trekking and safaries of various kinds, etc. In addition to that he may also make arrangements for transport, accommodation, etc.
The application for approval shall be submitted online through etraveltradeapproval.nic.in. In this regard any query may be addressed to the Assistant Director General, Travel Trade Division, Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, Room No. 23, C – 1 Hutments, Dalhousie Road, New Delhi – 110 011, Tel No. 011 2301 2805, Fax No. 011 2301 9476, Email ID: email@example.com
The application for renewal / extension shall also be submitted online after being registered online as an approved tour operator through etraveltradeapproval.nic.in. In this regard any query may be addressed to the Regional Director of the concerned region as per the following addresses:-
a) The Regional Director (East), India Tourism, “Embassy”, 4, Shakespeare Sarani, Kolkata – 700 071, West Bengal. Phone No. (033) 2282 5813 / 2282 1475, Fax: (033) 2282 3521, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
b) The Regional Director (West), India Tourism, 123, M. Karve Road, Opp. Church Gate, Mumbai – 400 020, Maharashtra. Phone No. (022) 208 3263 / 2207 4333 / 2207 4334, Fax: (022) 2201 4496, Email:, email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
c) The Regional Director (North), India Tourism, 88 – Janpath, New Delhi 110 001. Phone No. (011) 2332 0342 / 2332 0005 / 2332 0008, Fax: (11) 2332 0109, Email: email@example.com d) The Regional Director (South), India Tourism, 154, Anna Salai,
Chennai – 600 002, Tamil Nadu. Phone No. (044) 2846 0285 / 2846 1459, Fax: (044) 2846 0193, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
e) The Regional Director (North – East), India Tourism, Asom Paryatan Bhawan, 3rd Floor, Near Nepali Mandir, A. K. Azad Road, Paltan Bazar, Guwahati – 781 008, Assam. Phone No. (0361) 273 7554, Fax No. (0361) 273 7553, Email: email@example.com
LIST OF DOCUMENTS (CHECK LIST) REQUIRED FOR FIRST APPROVAL/ RENEWAL OR EXTENSION AS AN APPROVED ADVENTURE TOUR OPERATOR (ATO)
1. Online application duly filled in.
2. Two attested photographs.
3. Documentary proof (preferably registration certificates from govt.) in support of beginning of
operations of your firm.
4. Undertaking as per Annexure I in original to be signed by the Adventure Tour Operator.
5. A signed copy of the Pledge of Commitment towards “Safe & Honourable Tourism”. The pledge is attached in English & Hindi as Annexure II & III, respectively.
6. A copy of complete Audited Balance Sheet with the Director’s Report for the latest financial year.
7. Income Tax Acknowledgement for the latest assessment year.
8. Service Tax Registration certificate from the concerned authority.
9. Certificate of Statutory Auditor of the firm stating the paid-up capital not less than Rs. 3.00 lakhs.
10. Reference letter from Bank on its original letterhead regarding the firm’s bank account with address & telephone numbers.
11. Details of staff employed giving names, educational qualification & experience if any in tourism field
and length of service in your organization (copies of certificates to be enclosed):
a) The Adventure Tour operator should have a minimum of four qualified staff out of which at least one should have Diploma / Degree in Tourism & Travel Management from a recognized University, IITTM, any institution approved by AICTE or should be trained from reputed specialized Institutes in Private / Public Sector. The owner of the firm would be included as one of the qualified employees. Either, the Owner / Director himself or their Operations – Chief employed should be well qualified in the activity the adventure operator wants to pursue, which is determined by certification by any national or international institute in the activity or minimum of eight years of practical experience.
b) The academic qualifications may be relaxed in case of the other two staff members who are exceptionally experienced personnel in Airlines, Shipping, Transport, PR Agencies, Hotels and other corporate bodies and those who have two years experience with Ministry of Tourism approved tour operators.
c) For the agencies located in the North – Eastern region, remote and rural areas, there should be a minimum of two qualified staff out of which one should have a Diploma / Degree in Tourism & Travel Management from a recognized University, IITTM or an institution approved by AICTE or would be trained from reputed specialized Institutes in Private / Public Sector. The owner of the firm would be included as one of the qualified employees.
d) Names of focal points.
12. List of Directors/Partners or name of the Proprietor.
13. Details of office premises, whether located in commercial or residential area, office space in sq. ft. (The minimum office space should be at least 150 sq. ft for rest of India and 100 sq. ft for hilly areas which are above 1000 meters from sea level) and accessibility to toilet and recepton area.
14. Certificate of Statutory Auditor of the firm on original letter head in support of turnover from adventure tourism and adventure sports related activities only which should not be less than Rs. 10.00 Lakh during the last financial year.
15. Documents duly stamped & attested by the Managing Director / Managing Partner/ Proprietor of the firm.
16. The payment of fee of Rs. 3000/- should be made online only through Debit/Credit Cards, e-banking etc.
I. The guidelines etc., may be downloaded from websites www.tourism.gov.in, etraveltradeapproval.nic.in & www.incredibleindia.org .
II. The application form along with all supporting documents should be submitted online through
III. Please quote the reference number of Ministry of Tourism if the application is for renewal of recognition.
IV. When applying for Branch Office(s), separate application should be filled and submitted online along with the required documents, in duplicate.